Friday, August 26, 2011

Things I've learned from my Best Friend...




Things one can learn from their best friend are limitless. Especially if we are talking about the same kind of best friend, mans best friend, your dog. My dog, or really should I say my dogs, have taught me lots of things. They teach us patience, kindness, love...but not just any kind of love, how to laugh, and how to cry out of sheer madness. All of these I'm going to explain, in my words.
Lets start with patience. If you are a dog owner, you know this one is a truth of truth. Learning all the basic obedience, and lets not forget housebreaking. Oh mercy. So, thank you for teaching me how to be patient, and for you also being patient with me. After all, we don't speak the same lauange, I can pee inside but you can't and having to wait on me to get home when I am gone. You have taught me patience.
Kindness. This is a simple word that many people don't understand how to use. You have taught me to be kind, and in return I'm trying to teach you the meaning as well. Be nice, don't bite me. Don't bark at that strange dog, they could be having a bad day and you aren't aware of it. Be gentle not only in your actions, but also in your bark. Thank you for teaching me patience.
Love. Such a strong word isn't it? Love, you've taught me how to love, not just any love like I said earlier. You have an unconditional love for me. One that without fail is there for me every waking moment of the day. This is a kind of love that most people don't ever have or know of. But you have taught me how to love like you do, Love with my whole heart, not just parts of it, and to love strongly and passionately. This is true of loving me, or loving your favorite toy. I too love you, and my stuffed Teddy bear. Thank you for teaching me true unconditional love.
I love my dogs, they teach me so much more than to be a good owner. I am not an owner, I am owned by my dogs. And those of you who know me know that my dogs are also my babies. I love them as if they were my "other children". I love my little four legged fur children, and they love me.
I've learned that no matter what it is that is outside, and I hear a bark, I should be concerned.
I've learned that it doesn't matter if it squeaks or not, if its in the floor within reach, consider it fair game. The first one who gets it, well its all yours. I've also learned that when you have a paper towel and it's not all the way in the trash that it can be shredded into a gazillion pieces. And a roll of toilet paper, well, it can be taken off the holder in like 2seconds flat. And yes, that too can be shredded in more than a gazillion pieces. I've learned that when my dogs are excited, that well they can jump higher than a kid on a pogo stick and try to knock you down in the process with tons of kisses as a follow up. I've learned that anything that contains stuffing can be destroyed in no time, and its a waste of money. Instead, my dogs get plastic soda bottles that are empty. Cheap and recycled. I've learned that when someone rings my doorbell, the person on the other end better really be prepared to come into my house. It's a chore just to get over the threshold, so if your really wanting to come visit, I will know your sincere. I've learned that ice cubes are fun to give the dogs, until they melt because they loose them, yuck. Car rides are never the same with my dogs, its always a full on event, just like going to the red carpet. And nothing can get your two legged child to go to there room quicker than when you seek the dog on them! I've also learned that there is no sleeping in on Saturdays or Sundays because the dogs want to get up and play! They are built in alarm clocks Monday thru Friday, promptly at 6:30 am. I've learned that no one will cross me, if I'm out with my dogs, they can prompt fear of laughter in strangers. I've learned that things are never boring at the Smith house with the Dogs...
I would love to say thank you to my dogs, Charlie, the mini schnauzer, Cosby, the mini schnauzer, and Endora the Airedale (my service girl in training)

No comments:

Post a Comment